Wednesday 13 June 2012

Ach! NFSv4 is mungling my UIDs

Just noticed my NFS mounts had horribly long UID/GIDs which look suspicioiusly like 2^32 -1 (or close to that). It turns out that with nfs4 idmapd is used to map uids to/from the server. For my simple purposes my first instinct was how do I turn this off! But it appears that one source of it's confusion is just the the domain name it is configured with.

Changing the idmapd.conf file to set the domain to be the same at both ends did the trick - now the IDs are as expected on client and server.

**update** Only on the 12.04 server. On my 11.10 server the IDs were still mungled, and worse I couldn't restart idmapd using service restart. Manually starting rpc.idmapd didn't work either. I rested to:

# apt-get remove nfs-common libnfsidmap2
# apt-get purge nfs-common libnfsidmap2
# apt-get install nfs-common libnfsidmap2

Which after putting the correct domain back in /etc/idmapd.conf did the trick.


No comments:

Post a Comment